The Department of Museum Volunteers (DMV) offers a wide range of services that support the ROM. Inside the Museum, our volunteers meet and engage a diverse group of visitors by:
- Welcoming visitors and assisting them to plan their visit based on interests and time constraints
- Providing guided tours, in both English and French, of special exhibitions, specific gallery tours, themed tours, and general museum tours
- Offering an interpretive, interactive hands-on experience with objects in museum galleries
DMV also supports the Museum by:
- Reaching out to various communities such as hospitals, Ronald McDonald House, retirement homes and community centres to promote the ROM’s collections and special exhibitions with museum-themed activities and crafts for a hands-on experience
DMV raises funds for the Museum by:
- Developing day trips with historic, architectural, cultural or museum themes to places in Toronto and the greater GTA.
- Coordinating group tours for ROM members to destinations around the world focussing on world culture and natural history.
- Organizing historical and architectural tours encompassing diverse and unique aspects of Toronto’s neighborhoods
Enriching the visitor experience with educational and cultural programs as well as fundraising in support of the ROM’s acquisitions and research.
- Bishop White Committee: Friends of East Asia
- Friends of the Canadian Collections / Amis des collections canadiennes
- Friends of Earth and Space
- Friends of Palaeontology
- Friends of South Asia
- Friends of Textiles and Costume
Our volunteer opportunities vary depending on program requirements and current openings at the DMV. Placement opportunities are usually available as a Visitor Guide or Gallery Interpreter, or as a member of the ROMBus or ROMForYou committees, or working as front-line support during special events and peak periods at the ROM, or working in behind-the-scenes roles such as DMV reception and hospitality.
Volunteering is flexible – on weekends, weekdays or evenings - and placements often require a commitment of only 24 hours a year.
People who wish to become DMV volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid ROM membership, and be prepared to make a two year commitment. There will be minor DMV dues on achieving active status.
We encourage the participation of volunteers from all walks of life including students, retirees, employed persons and other interested individuals. Half the fun of volunteering is the diverse array of people you will meet!
Join us for an information meeting and see how you could begin to contribute your time.
If you are interested in volunteering with us, check the date below. Information meetings acquaint potential volunteers with upcoming volunteer opportunities. Please be aware we receive a large number of inquiries and cannot reply directly to all e-mails. Therefore, attend the next meeting to get all your questions answered and begin your journey with the DMV. Feel free to bring a friend!
The next information intake meeting will take place at the Museum.
Saturday January 26, 2019
10:30 am to 12:30 pm
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED.
To RSVP, or for further information, please call the DMV Reception line at 416.586.8097, (Monday to Saturday, between 9:30 am and 3:30 pm). Outside of that time you can leave us a voice mail message.
At 10:15 am, on the day of the meeting, please go to the Security Staff Entrance at the south side of the ROM on Queen’s Park, opposite the Planetarium. You will then be signed in to the ROM and will be escorted to the meeting room.