Welcome to volunteering at the ROM!
All volunteer opportunities can be found HERE.
The ROM connects its visitors to their communities, their world, and to each other. It’s our hope that when you volunteer at the ROM we inspire you with the amazing, one of a kind objects in our collection and that you impart a sense of wonder and share stories about your ROM discoveries with our visitors.
With our large number of visitors, and extensive collections of over 12.5 million objects and specimens, we need additional help to inspire curiosity, make new discoveries, and share wonder. As a volunteer you will join our already diverse and vibrant volunteer community that brings a variety of different skills and experiences to the ROM. We would be delighted for you to join our enthusiastic team.
The ROM recognizes that as a volunteer you give your time, abilities and enthusiasm freely to help us and we appreciate this significant support. As a ROM volunteer, you will have wonderful time as a valued, indispensable part of our team that strives to create a welcoming environment for our many visitors. In return, we hope to give you an opportunity to explore our vast collections, to learn new things, and to share your skills and interests while making great new friends.
Join us from April 10-16 as we celebrate our volunteers with the ROM's Volunteer Appreciation Week.
How to Volunteer
Who Can Volunteer
We believe everyone has different skills and experiences to bring to the ROM, and hope to welcome you all. We will make every effort to find a volunteer role that fits your unique lifestyle and matches your skills and availability. Please note that this process may take time, as we might not immediately have a placement that fits your needs.
The majority of our opportunities require volunteers be at least 18 years old.
A few volunteer areas require museum membership and a donation while some roles involve working with children or vulnerable populations. Please be aware we reserve the right to require a background check to ensure a safe learning environment.
How Can I Become A Volunteer?
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please check out our volunteer opportunities.
We will then determine if there is a suitable placement for you and will inform you of the next steps to take in your volunteering journey.
We greatly appreciate your interest and hope to find a fantastic volunteering opportunity that fits your unique skills and interests. However, if we are unable to find a placement for you, we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and would be delighted to provide additional feedback.
The ROM will provide volunteers with:
- A rewarding and fulfilling experience, opportunities for intellectual and personal enrichment, and community involvement
- Respect and treat volunteers as a valued member of the team
- An understanding of the Museum’s Mandate, Vision, Values and Objectives
- A transparent and fair recruitment, selection and screening process, a job description, orientation, training and supervision for the position you accept
- Clear management practices and procedures
- Support and feedback on your performance
- Recognition for your contributions
- A work environment that is collegial and safe
- An I.D. badge, after a probationary commitment, giving you access to Museum galleries and special exhibitions, 10% discount in the Museum’s gift shops and reciprocal benefits at other local attractions
The ROM asks that volunteers:
- Serve as an ambassador for the Museum
- Apply their skills, abilities and experience in support of the Museum’s initiatives
- Value all staff, volunteers and visitors and recognize the rights of all to be treated with respect and courtesy
- Welcome, direct your attention to, and engage visitors when in public areas of the Museum
- Demonstrate an enthusiastic and positive attitude, work with integrity and respect, and act as a steward of the Museum’s collections
- Support the staff and other volunteers of the Museum and accept their guidance and direction
- Avoid conflict of interest and keep confidential any proprietary information gained during your association with the Museum
- Participate in training sessions and meetings relating to volunteering
- Commit to an agreed upon number of volunteer hours