Tel: 416.586.5718 or 416-586-7931 (Please call ahead to confirm opening hours of the H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library)
History & Collections
The H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library was founded in 1933 by Bishop William C. White. Since that time it has been a major Canadian resource for researchers and others studying the arts and archaeology of Asia. The H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library is the most important library in Canada uniquely devoted to the arts of Asia.
The collections include books and journals on the arts and archaeology of East Asia, South Asia, Central Asia, and Southeast Asia. The H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library also holds important research collections on the Near East, Ancient Egypt and West Asia.
The holdings of the H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library are included in the online catalogue for the University of Toronto Libraries.
Please take note of the entire call number, the holdings information (which lists the libraries that have a particular title and where in the library the item is located) and the location (which notes if the book is in the library or available upon request). All this information is critical to easily locate your item. Please make a habit of noting the location together with the call number. You may e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that the materials are available for use.
Circulation & Reference
The H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library is a reference library; the collections are predominantly non-circulating. Library materials may be used either in the H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library or can be transferred to the ROM's Richard Wernham and Julia West Library for consultation in the Sackler Reading Room.
For more information on the H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library's resources, contact library staff: e-mail email@example.com, or telephone 416.586.5718.
Reference questions on subjects covered by the H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library can be addressed to the librarian in person by appointment, by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax 416.586.5877. Telephone messages may also be left at 416.586.5718 or 416.586.7931.
- free WiFi connections in H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library Reading Room
- 1 public computer terminals
- 1 overhead self-service book scanner
- 1 flatbed scanner (maximum document scan size: 8.5”x12.3” or 216x311mm)
- 1 microfiche reader
- Scanning is free of charge, so we encourage you to bring a USB memory stick along to help us preserve our print materials.
- Photocopying in black and white is self-serve at 15¢ per exposure. Colour photocopying is $1.00 per page, available upon request.
- Printing from our computer terminals is 15¢ per page for both letter and legal size. Colour printing is $1.00 per page, available upon request.