The Bishop White Committee, founded in 1960, is a group of people who have a special interest in learning about and supporting the activities of the East Asia Section – China, Japan and Korea.
To promote learning about China, Japan and Korea, we:
- Publish twice yearly newsletters of wide-ranging and interesting topics related to East Asia
- Present programs about research and activities in the Section
- Have activity tables at ROM family events
Through donations and fundraising, we have established:
- Two endowed funds to support acquisitions, research and other activities of the Section
- An endowed Chair of Chinese Art and Archaeology
- An endowed Curatorship of Japanese Art & Culture
In addition, we provide financial support to the East Asia Library through an annual donation and by purchasing subscriptions to academic journals requested by the Library.
Our fundraising events include:
- An annual winter luncheon featuring a dim sum lunch and speaker
- An annual symposium on topics of interest and relevance to the East Asia Section both past and present