The islands of Haida Gwaii are one of the richest biological and cultural areas in North America. Aboard an 82-foot sailing vessel, we will cruise the waters of this remote archipelago seeing ancient Haida villages, an incredible abundance of wildlife and outstanding wilderness scenery. Our trip primarily explores the eastern and southern shores which lie within the Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve and Haida Heritage Site.
Gwaii Haanas is an incredible area with over 100 islands, beautiful, forested creek walks, rugged headlands, and protected passageways between towering mountains. Thousands of seabirds nest on the islands. Theories suggest that parts of Haida Gwaii escaped the last ice age, forming a glacial refuge for certain plants and animals. How else to explain the presence of plant species found nowhere else in the world and the noticeably different subspecies of birds, fish and mammals? The islands of Haida Gwaii provide a remarkable evolutionary showcase, hence, their description as the “Canadian Galápagos”.
Highlights of the tour include
- Home to the Haida, one of the most culturally rich and developed groups of people to inhabit early North America.
- The Haida story. Learn about the traditional and modern Haida way of life.
- Ancient Haida villages, including UNESCO World Heritage site SGang Gwaay.
- Best remaining examples of original totem poles in the world.
- Rare opportunity to explore a pristine wilderness region and marine protected area.
- Rarely visited islands that are an isolated archipelago where access is possible only by boat or charter float plane.
- Anchoring in secluded bays and exploring on your own by kayak.
- Humpback, fin whales, orcas, Steller sea lions and possibly a few Haida Gwaii black bears, the largest black bears in the world.
- Interesting birds that will be with us throughout including puffins, rhinoceros auklets, black oystercatchers, murrelets, and phalaropes.
- Intertidal areas to find sea stars, crabs, chitons, sea cucumbers and a wealth of other colourful and interesting creatures.
- $9,935 per person
- Double occupancy only
- Flights not included
- Not Available
- Single travellers will share a cabin with another single, same gender traveller
To request an application form or for more information, please contact the ROMTravel Coordinator.
Ellison Travel & Tours Ltd as agent for Bluewater Adventures
This trip must be booked through Ellison Travel & Tours Ltd
Contact: Rosanna Geraci
Phone 1.800.265.7022 or 519.672.7020 extension 196
More of what you'll experience