(September 2013 to June 2014 – Fall/Winter/Spring Sessions)
The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is seeking an individual to fill the role of Instructor for our Tiny Tots program. Each eight-week session explores the Museum in a sensory way for children ages 0 to 5 years. The Instructor is required to create play-based activities that will appeal to early learners. Each program is expected to highlight the unique Cultural and Natural History collections and research at the ROM.
• Develop and plan course content based on description and direction provided by the Program Coordinator
• Produce a course plan document and written day-by-day description for parents
• Deliver course activities based on plan and description
• Follow daily schedules and routines
• Manage behaviour of children, ensuring a safe and enjoyable educational experience for each child in the group
• Ensure safe and proper use of museum materials, specimens
• Supervise and mentor assigned volunteers often providing feedback
• Respond to concerns raised by participants/caregivers with a customer service focus
|Salary||$23.70 per hour|
• Must have completed an Early Childhood Education (ECE) Diploma (2 years) OR an acceptable equivalent in education and experience. Formal teaching qualifications and/or ESL certification are definite assets.
• A minimum of one year experience teaching children in an educational or museum setting
• Excellent communication/interpersonal skills both oral and written
• Proven research, organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Firm grasp and experience with behaviour/classroom management techniques.
• First Aid/CPR certification is definite assets
• Must be prepared to complete a verification of Criminal Background Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
How to Apply
Please include a cover letter which provides information about program themes you feel most qualified to instruct based both on academic background and/or previous instruction experience. In addition, please indicate the sessions you are available to instruct and your availability on Tuesdays and/or Wednesdays.
STARTING DATE: September 2013
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 420 hrs or 6 mths (whichever comes first)
APPLY IN WRITING TO: Linda Knox, Human Resources and Organizational Development, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C6 Fax #416-586-5827; email email@example.com. Please include Competition #2013-069 Tiny Tots Instructor on the subject line.
PRIOR TO 5PM ON: August 23, 2013
The ROM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We wish to 'Thank' everyone who applies, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.