The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is internationally renowned for its collections of nearly six million beautiful and remarkable objects. At the ROM, people of all ages and backgrounds find experiences that inspire wonder and understanding of the immense diversity of human civilization and the natural world.
The ROM Governors acts as a strategic resource to the Museum in the development of plans, initiatives, and programs requiring substantial private support. The ROM Governors are committed to the long-term financial health of the ROM, raising and directing funds for its highest priorities, and fostering sustainable relationships of exceptional value both to its donors and the institution. The ROM Governors is preparing to celebrate a century of philanthropy as part of the ROM’s centennial in 2014.
The Development Assistant assists in the implementation, coordination and execution of a range of fundraising activities, in order to sustain and deepen prospective and current donors’ commitments to the Museum’s highest priorities. The ideal candidate should possess keen interest and competency in administrative tasks as well as an eagerness to participate in the process of development as opportunities arise.
In your application, please indicate a preference for one of the three positions available:
- Development Assistant, Major Gifts – 2-year full-time contract. This position assists in the implementation, coordination and execution of fundraising activities relating to major gift initiatives, including support to senior level staff. The ideal candidate should possess keen interest and competency in administrative tasks as well as an eagerness to participate in the process of major gift development as opportunities arise.
- Development Assistant, Special Events – 2-year full-time contract. This position supports the Special Events program of the ROM Governors through the coordination of fundraising, recognition and cultivation events that have been identified in the Business Plan.
- Development Assistant, Patron Programs - 1-year full-time maternity leave contract. This position provides administrative support for the ROM Governors’ Patron Programs including special appeals, with the goal of consistent and accurate gift processing, plus renewal, stewardship and solicitation mailings.
Staff Support: Provide a wide-range of administrative support to senior staff and a team of development staff. Tasks include preparation a variety of correspondence, generating mailing lists, and tracking staff activity.
Meetings: Assist in the scheduling and coordination of staff and volunteer committee meetings. Support Chair during meetings by coordinating and executing the use of audio-visual components, recording minutes and tracking follow up actions.
Events: Assist in organizing events. Enter RSVP data in The Raisers Edge. Prepare event briefings for senior staff.
Data Management: Support development activities by ensuring the prompt and accurate data entry and acknowledgement of donations on The Raiser’s Edge and the maintenance of accurate donor and prospect records. Follow up on all outstanding pledges as required.
Stewardship: Ensure the highest level of accuracy, efficiency and personalization in preparing stewardship communications with every donor with a goal of increased support. Provide exemplary customer service to donors leading to a high level of donor satisfaction.
These positions require an incumbent possessing a post-secondary degree or diploma plus one to two years of administrative experience, preferably in a fundraising or arts & culture environment (including but not limited to arts management, event management, marketing, and/or customer relations).
The incumbent must also possess:
- Strong capabilities and experience in an administrative position.
- Ability to efficiently organize and manage a diverse range of assignments and projects while meeting multiple deadlines, along with thorough attention to all details and consistent follow through.
- Interest in/knowledge of fundraising.
- Interest in/knowledge of event planning (Special Events position only)
- Knowledge of marketing and communication in a number of media, including but not exclusive to mail, phone, e-commerce, personal solicitation etc. (Patron Programs and Special Events positions only)
- Exceptional and proven oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent word processing skills and experience with Microsoft Office programs as applied to the preparation of proposals, presentations, and financial reports.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Access and Adobe Creative Suite, including In Design is an asset.
- Demonstrated superior understanding of relational databases, with hands on database processing experience. A strong knowledge of The Raiser’s Edge a definite asset.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and professional presence necessary to interact with donors, senior volunteers, museum staff and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge and understanding of the vision, mission and values of the Museum and role of the ROM Governors.
- Resourcefulness and independence, while remaining comfortable working within the framework of an integrated development program and team-oriented environment.
- A flexible schedule which allows for multiple after-hours events and meetings.
How to Apply
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME PRIOR TO 5:00 p.m. on June 7, 2013 to Linda Knox, Human Resources Coordinator, Royal Ontario Museum Governors Office, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6; Fax: 416-586-5827; email: firstname.lastname@example.org – please include Competition #2013-042 Development Assistant in the subject line. Please indicate a preference of job if you have one.
The ROM Governors Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The ROM Governors wishes to ‘Thank’ all who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.