The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is seeking three (3) summer students in conjunction with the Summer Experience Program sponsored by the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport. These Gallery Assistants are needed in the Hands-on Biodiversity Gallery, CIBC Discovery Gallery and Schad Gallery to provide relief in the office and work in all three galleries, as required.
The student hired must meet the eligibility criteria of the program:
- all students must be currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary institution or within 6 months of graduation and have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 25 upon commencement of employment, or up to 29 years for persons with a disability, if disabled, within the meaning of s.10 of the Ontario Human Rights Code;
- Proof of enrolment must be provided to the employer;
- Students must be residents of Ontario and eligible to work in Canada.
Supervised by the Gallery Coordinator and under the direction of the Manager, Learning, you will:
- Provide assistance to museum visitors when needed by engaging visitors in an interactive gallery environment and guiding them through a learning process.
- Provide general administrative assistance in gallery offices (e.g. filing, photocopying, arranging schedules, and answering phones).
- Work with gallery collections to ensure proper cataloguing of museum artifacts and specimens.
- Assist with additional programming in the Museum.
- Assist with entering artifacts/specimens into the handling collection databases.
- Research artifacts and specimens to create information sheets.
The positions require experience working with the public, particularly with children; basic computer skills and familiarity with MS Office; must have a proven work record of being responsible and reliable; and able to work well both independently and as part of a team.
How to Apply
STARTING DATE: varies based on schedule
SALARY: $10.25 per hour (in accordance with the SEP guidelines)
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week
APPLY IN WRITING TO: Linda Knox, Human Resources & Organizational Development, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C6; Fax #416-586-5827; email: firstname.lastname@example.org – please quote Competition #2013-043 ROM Gallery Assistant in the subject line.
Apply PRIOR TO 5 p.m.: May 23, 2013