ROM Summer Club is one of Toronto's most creative and diverse summer day camps, offering an exciting array of fun, activity-based programs inspired by the collections and research of a world-class museum. For more information, visit www.rom.on.ca and click on "Summer Club 2013".
The ROM is seeking three (3) responsible individuals to fill this role. Working in conjunction with Reach for the Rainbow, this ROM Assistant will work 1-on-1 with the high-needs camper to meet their individual needs.
• Read and understand the profile of the assigned camper, including a pre-camp phone contact at home to clarify the campers profile
• Sign the Profile Acknowledgement Form to confirm
• Prepare craft material prior to each day to ensure camper integration
• Ensure campers routines of daily care, health needs (possible medication)
• Supervise camper during breaks and lunch
• Assist instructor to ensure integration with the group by adapting games, activities, movement through the Museum, and field trips
• Facilitate activities and social interactions with all members of the group
• Use adaptive equipment in a safe and responsible manner, as necessary
• Model positive behaviour
• Act in a friendly and courteous manner to parents and children at all times
• Other duties as assigned
• Assistants require at least one year experience working with children in an educational/camp environment and are able to work cooperatively with other team members
• Successful candidates must be 16 years of age by the start of the contract
• The following additional qualifications are strong assets:
Secondary education in a Museum-related field (Art, Archaeology, Life Sciences, Earth Science, History)
Previous experience working 1-on-1 with Special Needs children
First Aid/CPR certification
How to Apply
A cover letter should accompany each résumé indicating your work availability and the ability to attend several mandatory orientations planned for May 26, June 6 & 15, 2013. Finally, each applicant must be prepared to provide a Criminal Background Check specific to individuals who work with children or vulnerable persons.
STARTING DATE: May 26 – August 30, 2013
SALARY: $11.25 per hour
APPLY IN WRITING TO: Linda Knox, Human Resources & Organizational Development, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C6; Fax #416-586-5827; email: firstname.lastname@example.org – please quote Competition #2013-029 – SC Support Asst. in the subject line.
PRIOR TO 5PM ON: April 12, 2013
Priority will be given to qualified internal and returning applicants.
The ROM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We wish to 'Thank' everyone who applies, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.