The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is seeking an Exhibit Graphic Production Assistant to work with the ROM Creative team and the Forbidden City Project team to develop graphic designs conceived by the Exhibit Designer–Graphics and prepare files for supplier quotes and production.
This capable individual will also conceive and develop print material, signage, and ads for other departments. At times, this individual will manage aspects of these projects independently.
Under the general direction of the Head, Creative or Exhibit Designer – Graphics and together with the various exhibit team members to develop in full detail all production-ready graphic components of the exhibit, including:
- Working to brand guidelines and from supplied briefs and bilingual copy decks, prepare concepts for print materials such as promo pieces, ads and signs
- Prepare packages for presentation and further development of all exhibit graphic components; prepare computer documents; source sample materials; and provide mock-ups and a variety of other media considering access for visitors of all abilities.
- Assist Designers to develop a coordinated design approach (graphic and 3-D) for all parts of an exhibit; support all work to ensure materials and surfaces needed for graphics are developed, coordinated, sized and properly provided.
- Prepare production-ready files for all graphic design aspects of an exhibition project including: signage, text, illustrations, photographs, finishes, and a variety of other visual communication devices.
- Prepare files for a wide variety of external and internal suppliers and producers.
- Under the general direction of the Project Manager, source and recommend graphic production suppliers, develop pricing packages and obtain design quotations. Throughout the project assist to monitor all graphic components to remain on budget.
- Monitor all aspects of graphic production and installation for specification compliance.
|Salary||$45,948 per annum|
- Post Secondary degree in Graphic Design, Environmental Graphic design, OR an equivalent in experience and education.
- Two (2) years experience in pre-press for print.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate in a team context.
- Understanding and ability to develop 2D design development presentation and prepress packages.
- Detailed knowledge of graphic production techniques and media.
- Strong problem solving skills, sense of initiative required to source information and prioritize variables.
- Proficiency with the most current software applications used for design and the creation of pre-production files.
- An understanding of Inclusive Design and Environmental Graphic Design.
- Experience with Chinese typographic design would be an asset.
How to Apply
STARTING DATE: September 2, 2013
SALARY: based on $45,948.00 per annum
UNION: OPSEU Local 543
APPLY IN WRITING TO: Linda Knox, Human Resources & Organizational Development, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C6; Fax #416-586-5827; email: firstname.lastname@example.org – please quote Competition #2013-068 – Exhibit Graphic Production Asst. in the subject line.
PRIOR TO 5:00 PM ON: August 28, 2013
We thank all applicants; however, only successful candidates will be contacted.