Starting January 4, 2016, the H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library will open Monday-Friday, 10 am-5 pm.
Please call ahead at 416-586-5718 or 416-586-5595 to confirm opening hours of the Far Eastern Library as the library needs to close from time to time because of short-staffing. While materials still can be retrieved for use in the Main Library upon request, immediate delivery is not assured.
History & Collections
The H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library was founded in 1933 by Bishop William C. White. Since that time it has been a major Canadian resource for researchers and others studying the arts and archaeology of Asia. The H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library is the most important library in Canada uniquely devoted to the arts of Asia.
The collections include books and journals on the arts and archaeology of East Asia, South Asia, Central Asia, and Southeast Asia. The H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library also holds important research collections on the Near East, Ancient Egypt and West Asia.
The holdings of the H. H. Mu Far Eastern Library are included in the online catalogue for the University of Toronto Libraries.
Please take note of the entire call number, the holdings information (which lists the libraries that have a particular title and where in the library the item is located) and the location (which notes if the book is in the library or available upon request). All this information is critical to easily locate your item. Please make a habit of noting location together with the call number. You may e-mail email@example.com to make sure that the materials are available for your use.
Circulation & Reference
The H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library is a reference library; the collections are non-circulating. Library materials may be used either in the H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library or can be transferred to the ROM's Main Library for reading in that library.
For more information on the Far Eastern Library's resources, together with useful links, see the library's Research Guide: http://guides.library.utoronto.ca/felibrary or please contact the library staff: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone 416.586.5718, if you have any concerns or questions.
Reference questions on subjects covered by the H.H. Mu Far Eastern Library can be addressed to the librarian in person by appointment, by e-mail email@example.com, or fax 416.586.5877. Telephone messages may also be left at 416.586.5718.
- free WiFi connections in Far Eastern Library Reading Room and Egyptian Library Reading Room
- 2 public computer terminals
- 1 overhead self-service book scanner
- 1 flatbed scanner (maximum document scan size: 8.5”x12.3” or 216x311mm)
- 1 laser printer/photocopier
- 1 microfiche reader
- Scanning is free of charge, so we encourage you to bring a USB memory stick along to help us preserve our print materials.
- Photocopying, black and white only, is self-served and costs 15¢ per exposure. Colour photocopying is available at $1.00 per page.
- Printing from our computer terminals costs 15¢ per page for both letter and legal size. Colour printing is available at $1.00 per page.