In August, come bring natural history to life at the Royal Ontario Museum! The ROM, in partnership with Gamercamp and the University of Toronto, is opening its doors to game developers for the second annual ROM Game Jam; a three-day event on August 8 - 10, 2014; where they will be challenged to create digital games that animate the museum’s exhibits.
The must-knows about the ROM Game Jam:
- Spend three days inside the ROM creating games that animate its exhibitions
- Explore the over 30 galleries of the museum containing millions of specimens
- Learn about the history of the specimens directly from ROM experts
- Nerd out with fellow game developers in one of the most awesome venues ever for a jam
- Have the opportunity to showcase your game in a Toronto cultural institution with an audience of thousands
Registration closes July 18. REGISTER NOW!
The theme for the 2014 ROM Game Jam is:
THE EVOLUTION REVOLUTION
Life began almost 4 billion years ago.
Humans appeared in the 11th hour.
What will life look like in the future?
For three days, participants will get special access to the museum to create a game based on its contents. Now, even for veteran game jam participants, there will be a few fresh surprises to the ROM Game Jam experience. Imagine yourself digging up dinosaurs for inspiration, or immersing yourself in the rich history of the museum with ROM experts in palaeontology, biology, and more.
The experience continues after the actual Game Jam! Completed games will be play-tested at various ROM events between September and December 2014. Not to get all fine-print on you, but best of all you keep the IP to your work, including the right to distribute and see the game!
Space will be very limited. Participants must apply as a team ranging in size from one to four persons. Whether you’re on the fence or ready to go, there will be a recommended drop-in info session. Details are as follows:
ROM Game Jam Drop-In Info Session
- Saturday July 12, 2014, between 11 am and 3 pm
- Located at the ROM, 100 Queens Park, Toronto, ON
- Please arrive and check-in inside the main entrance of the ROM
- Participants can arrive at any time between 11 am and 3 pm
- Info session includes access to the galleries
- Not mandatory but recommended
- RSVP is required. Email your RSVP to GameJam@rom.on.ca
Got more questions? Check out the Game Jam 2014 FAQ section!