Attention Gamers: bring natural history to life at the Royal Ontario Museum this October! The ROM, in partnership with the University of Toronto, is opening its doors to game developers for the third annual (and FINAL) ROM Game Jam. ROM Game Jam is a three-day event from October 2 - 4 where participants are challenged to create digital games that animate the museum’s exhibits.
The must-knows about the ROM Game Jam:
- Spend three days inside the ROM creating games that animate its exhibitions
- Explore over 30 galleries of the museum containing millions of specimens
- Learn about the history of these specimens directly from ROM experts
- Nerd out with fellow game developers in one of the most awesome venues ever for a game jam
- Have the opportunity to showcase your game in a Toronto cultural institution with an audience of thousands
The theme for the 2015 ROM Game Jam is:
The ROM's Earth and Space collection includes meteorites, 4 billion year old Earth rocks, and even pieces of the Moon and Mars. How would you animate this spectacular collection through a video game? Join us for our final ROM Game Jam this fall and let your creativity shine!
Even for veteran Game Jam participants, there will be a few fresh surprises for this final ROM Game Jam experience. Draw inspiration from the Teck Suite of Galleries: Earth's Treasures, which includes our gem vault, the Canadian Mining Hall of Fame, and the Barrick Gold Corporation Gallery. You will also have a chance to view our newest exhibtion Pompeii: In the Shadow of the Volcano.
The experience continues after the actual Game Jam! Completed games will be play-tested at various ROM events between November 2015 and March 2016. Not to get all fine-print on you, but best of all you keep the IP to your work, including the right to distribute and see the game!
Got more questions? Check out the Game Jam 2015 FAQ section!