Sebastião Salgado: GENESIS

North American Premiere

Februaary 1, 2012 to September 2, 2013 (CLOSED)

Roloff Beny Gallery, Michael Lee Crystal, Level 4 and Centre Block, Level 3

Genesis by internationally renowned photojournalist Sebastião Salgado makes its North American premiere at the ROM, organized by Amazonas images, with support of Vale and presented by ROM Contemporary Culture and Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival.  Genesis is an eight year photographic expedition traveling to 32 different locations around the planet. Showcasing over two hundred hauntingly beautiful and provocative photographs, Genesis depicts the raw beauty of the landscapes, seascapes and people that have escaped the destructive reach of modern society.  Curated by Lélia Wanick Salgado, GENESIS takes you on a journey to rediscover the far corners of the world and urges you to consider what is left of our planet, what is in peril and what is left to be saved.

Through innovative exhibitions and contemporary projects, ROM Contemporary Culture provides insight and inspiration to help our community make sense of the modern world and connect with one another.  This season, ROM: Contemporary Culture explores the issues of environment and climate change, asking: how does landscape change a culture and how does culture change a landscape?

Lectures:

In Conversation with Sebastião Salgado

Sebastião Salgado: The silent drama of photography

Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival Logo

This exhibition is organized by Amazonas images with the support of Vale. Presented by ROM Contemporary Culture and the Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival, Sebastião Salgado: Genesis is a primary exhibition of the festival. CONTACT is supported by the Canada Council for the Arts, Celebrate Ontario, the Ontario Arts Council and the Ontario Cultural Attractions Fund.

Personnel

Deepali Dewan

Senior Curator (South Asian Arts & Culture)

Sponsors

Commentaires

Comment by Christopher Peloquin

I Would Love To See GENESIS Salgado In Level 4 At Royal Ontario Museum And I Will See It In Summer Time In 2013 And My Friends Would Like To See It Too

Comment by John Power

It would be very helpful to tell people how long this exhibition runs. How can we be expected to buy tickets in advance, as the web site recommends, if we don't know when the exhibition finishes?

Comment by Phong

I am sure I can find the information elsewhere. but it'd be nice if this web page also tells when the exhibition closes.

Comment by Tyler

Thanks Lead Concierge. I was thinking the same, why they didn't show the length of the exhibition.

Comment by Larry

I totally agree with John Power. I am not sure how you expect people to buy tickets in advance and make plans to see the exibit if we have no idea how long the show is running!

Comment by Michael Smith

The end date for the Salgado Exhibit of nature photos is not given, could you pls tell me the end date of the showing?

Michael

Comment by A Friend

Like so many others I find the lack of info on the length of this exhibit on it's page is annoying.

No, you can buy tickets at the door as well.  But online advance tickets allow you to bypass the line at the admission's desk.

Comment by Peter

Looks amazing...
How many photographs are there in this exhibition?
And if they are in groupings, can you tell us what the headings or themes of those groupings are?

There are over 200 photographs in the exhibition.  They are grouped into five regional sections based on the parts of the world in which they were taken.

Comment by Wayne McNulty

After spending a engaging time in Mesopotamia, I was fascinated by Salgado's images yesterday when I visited the ROM. Lovely prints, engaging subjects and a fine testament to this photographer and his message to salvage the landscapes, peoples and animals at risk. What detracted from this excellent show was the difficulty moving from the section in the ROM main building to that on the 4th floor of the Crystal. I saw few signs to lead me to the second part of the exhibit and when I entered the Crystal, there was no indication of what floor I was on (the third), where the stairs were or where the escalators were. Yes, I know there are many other interesting areas to explore at theROM but I was looking for the second part of Creation and found it rather frustrating not to find my way easily.

Thanks Wayne for sharing your experience about navigating through the ROM looking for exhibitions.  We appreciate the feedback about the signs and wayfinding as it's very helpful information for us.  Glad you enjoyed the exhibition as well!

Comment by Patricia

I am a retired photography teacher who attended this exhibit with my husband and 24-yr old daughter. We were totally blown away by this exhibit! Ansel Adams, move over! The quality of these photographs was exceptional-- technically, artistically, and aesthetically. We were all both moved and intrigued by the subject and visual impact of the images--the photographer is successful in his intent, I believe. We came for the Mesopotamia exhibit (also excellent--very impressed with the graphic story telling!) but were so happy we had the opportunity to also see these photographs. Kudos, ROM staff! Will your web material for this exhibit be available after the exhibit closes on Sept 2?