James Cruise is appointed Director. A botanist, he has been recruited from the University of Toronto. For the next decade, he oversees physical expansion and a new mission that is captioned “Meaningful Survival”. Almost immediately, the dream must be revised, as the provincial government...
Demolition of the Terrace Galleries requires that the lions move to the Queen's Park frontage, where they may be seen today.
The space exhibition may have influenced Col R S McLaughlin to donate $2m for a planetarium and a further million as an endowment fund. (Dr Meen, Chief Mineralogist, had been trying to raise interest for a decade). The University donated the land. At this point, there was again so much...
Staff, volunteers, workers, and the architect sign the last steel beam to be put in place.
This is ROMA, one of two rescue cats who were responsible for rodent control during the 60s. The Museum photographer posed her in the studio. Gladys Wong, a cleaner, brought them from Woodbine Racetrack and fed them as part of her job. They hung out next to the security officers' room in the...
Classes for school children begin in 1933 and continue today. Lillian Payne, the first teacher, paid for by the Toronto School Board, worked at the ROM for 21 years. Not only did the children come to the ROM - in the 20s, groups from northern Ontario came by train to visit - but also the ROM...
In just 13 years the ROM more than doubles its total attendance. Since opening its doors on March 19, 1914, the ROM has welcomed 11 million visitors.
Argyle House is demolished. Construction begins. The new wing had been in the original plan, and it was hoped that a later phase would fill in the additional spaces between old and new buildings. This hope remains unfulfilled for a further 50 years.
A birthday party with cake and balloons is also the chance to announce that the W. Garfield Weston Foundation, and Hilary and Galen Weston will each donate $10 million to Renaissance ROM.
Admission fees rise to 25c. A new exhibition hall opens with “Impact”