Staff, volunteers, workers, and the architect sign the last steel beam to be put in place.
The ROM is fortunate that Sir Edmund Walker believed in a museum for Toronto that would be both academic and public. He was able to gather all the stakeholders together so that the initial funding would be 50:50 government and university. As President of the Canadian Bank of Commerce, as well as...
Free admission (after 4:30) on Friday nights launches and is a huge success from the start...
Since the doors officially opened on March 19, 1914, 5 million visitors have walked through the galleries.
This assorted group came from many departments but the at the core were fast-learning librarians and library technicians. No one's job description mentioned the web: it was a volunteer effort. The ROM was a very early adaptor among museums. From the vantage point of twenty years later, it...
Admission fees rise to 25c. A new exhibition hall opens with “Impact”
Ten new galleries open in the heritage buildings.
11 new galleries open over three years. The first two are the James and Louise Temerty Galleries of the Age of Dinosaurs and the Reed Gallery of the Age of Mammals. From Bloor Street there are tantalizing glimpses of bones.
During the 70s, there were no big changes to the buildings, but small touches such as new glass doors, removal of turnstiles, and an information kiosk in the Rotunda were instituted. Outdoors there were display cases and benches. One small new construction contained a cafeteria, a children’s...
The ROM acquires a new van. Did it visit your town?