Peter Swann is announced as the next Director. In 1966, he tackles the space issue first. The ROM must expand or choke to death.
Lindsay Sharp is appointed. He comes to the ROM from museum experiences in England and in Australia. His title ( a first) is President and CEO. Here he talks about how he was hired.
Since the doors officially opened on March 19, 1914, 5 million visitors have walked through the galleries.
Charles Trick Currelly is appointed a collector for the University of Toronto at $500/year salary. He is working on excavations in Egypt and when back in Toronto, he arranges to display some of the material collected so that the people he is cultivating will be infected with enthusiasm and write...
The ROM acquires a new van. Did it visit your town?
On April 16, 1912, Bill 138 formally establishing the ROM received Royal Assent to “provide a home for culture and science under the same academical roof”. Press coverage was slight owing to the sinking of the Titanic. There were to be five ROMs, each with a director. The Board of Trustees was...
Bishop William White of Honan calls on Currelly. For the next decade they work to build the collections – from early bronzes to the great wall paintings in the gallery named after him.
Sigmund Samuel, who has been an important donor as well as a collector in his own right, pays for a building to house the fine and decorative art and rare books that he has donated, as well as the provincial archives. This building remains as a second ROM location until very recently and shows up...
11 new galleries open over three years. The first two are the James and Louise Temerty Galleries of the Age of Dinosaurs and the Reed Gallery of the Age of Mammals. From Bloor Street there are tantalizing glimpses of bones.
A birthday party with cake and balloons is also the chance to announce that the W. Garfield Weston Foundation, and Hilary and Galen Weston will each donate $10 million to Renaissance ROM.