Admission fees jump to $8
The new space for blockbuster exhibitions is tested.
Saturday Morning Club is started by Ruth Home, a successor to Margaret MacLean. For 26 years, it was guided by artist and sculptor, Eugenia Berlin. We hope that many people will share their stories about the effect that their experiences had on later lives.
In just 13 years the ROM more than doubles its total attendance. Since opening its doors on March 19, 1914, the ROM has welcomed 11 million visitors.
Serious fundraising for galleries begins with a target of $40 million. The Royal Terrace Club is established for donors. (It became the Royal Patrons' Circle in 1999)
March 19, 1914 is ROM's official opening day. There were 20 staff members. Hours were 10 am to 5:00 pm. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays were free admission; Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays cost 15c. The day’s events included both a luncheon and a dinner at the York Club nearby, with the...
Young Patron's Circle hosts the inaugural party called PROM in the tradition of excellent parties.
Classes for school children begin in 1933 and continue today. Lillian Payne, the first teacher, paid for by the Toronto School Board, worked at the ROM for 21 years. Not only did the children come to the ROM- in the 20s, groups from northern Ontario came by train to visit- but also the ROM...
Admission fees rise to 25c. A new exhibition hall opens with “Impact”
Louise Hawley Stone donates $2 million to endow a permanent curatorial position, a chair in Far Eastern Art named for her. (In 2013 there are 8 endowed curatorships)