Sigmund Samuel, who has been an important donor as well as a collector in his own right, pays for a building to house the fine and decorative art and rare books that he has donated, as well as the provincial archives. This building remains as a second ROM location until very recently and shows up...
Staff, volunteers, workers, and the architect sign the last steel beam to be put in place.
We liked this scene so much that we commissioned a poster
Classes for school children begin in 1933 and continue today. Lillian Payne, the first teacher, paid for by the Toronto School Board, worked at the ROM for 21 years. Not only did the children come to the ROM- in the 20s, groups from northern Ontario came by train to visit- but also the ROM...
Peter Swann is announced as the next Director. In 1966, he tackles the space issue first. The ROM must expand or choke to death.
Louise Hawley Stone leaves a $45 million trust fund to support the purchase of artifacts and specimens and to support museum publications.
Winifred (Friedl) Needler joined the staff of the Royal Ontario Museum in 1935 as a draughtsman-cataloguer. She took a year's leave to study Egyptian and Near Eastern archaeology, along with Middle Egyptian (hieroglyphics) at Yale, which study she continued upon return to the ROM under the...
Young Patron's Circle hosts the inaugural party called PROM in the tradition of excellent parties.
After arriving in Toronto and presiding over a special gallery, for a few years, the lions watched over Bloor Street. Then they went indoors again and within a few years found a place outdoors, where they wear special coats in winter.
Improving access to the ROM, hours are extended. The museum is open on Mondays 10 am- 5 pm; Tuesday- Saturday 10 am- 9pm; Sunday 1 pm- 9pm. In Toronto the Good, Sunday openings are still somewhat of a novelty.