11 new galleries open over three years. The first two are the James and Louise Temerty Galleries of the Age of Dinosaurs and the Reed Gallery of the Age of Mammals. From Bloor Street there are tantalizing glimpses of bones.
March 19, 1914 is ROM's official opening day. There were 20 staff members. Hours were 10 am to 5:00 pm. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays were free admission; Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays cost 15c. The day’s events included both a luncheon and a dinner at the York Club nearby, with the...
Emily and Kyle met in line with hundreds of others at the architectural opening of the ROM’s crystal June 2nd 2007. The line was long and they stood for 2 hours talking as they waited to see the new ROM. A lot can happen in 2 hours! It was appropriate that almost six years later, June 24th...
The new space for blockbusters is tried out.
Sigmund Samuel, who has been an important donor as well as a collector in his own right, pays for a building to house the fine and decorative art and rare books that he has donated, as well as the provincial archives. This building remains as a second ROM location until very recently and shows up...
The ROM acquires a new van. Did it visit your town?
We liked this scene so much that we commissioned a poster
The exhibition opens in November with good attendance at the public programs. Early in the next year, protests begin and escalate. ROM changes the process by which exhibitions are proposed and approved. Full text of the catalogue may be found at...
These two fisheye lens images make a study in ROM evolution
Hilary Weston leads the fundraising campaign, which will restore the heritage architecture and build "the crystal". She announces a gift of $30 million from Michael Lee Chin, the largest gift to a museum in Canadian history.