During the 70s, there were no big changes to the buildings, but small touches such as new glass doors, removal of turnstiles, and an information kiosk in the Rotunda were instituted. Outdoors there were display cases and benches. One small new construction contained a cafeteria, a children’s...
The new space for blockbuster exhibitions is tested.
Emily and Kyle met in line with hundreds of others at the architectural opening of the ROM’s crystal June 2nd 2007. The line was long and they stood for 2 hours talking as they waited to see the new ROM. A lot can happen in 2 hours! It was appropriate that almost six years later, June 24th...
The ROM acquires a new van. Did it visit your town?
11 new galleries open over three years. The first two are the James and Louise Temerty Galleries of the Age of Dinosaurs and the Reed Gallery of the Age of Mammals. From Bloor Street there are tantalizing glimpses of bones.
Walter Tovell is appointed Director. He had been a curator in the Department of Geology who developed new galleries and was an enthusiastic leader of fieldtrips for kids and grownups. He published books and guides on the geology of Niagara Falls, the Niagara escarpment, and the Great Lakes. He...
In just 13 years the ROM more than doubles its total attendance. Since opening its doors on March 19, 1914, the ROM has welcomed 11 million visitors.
Saturday Morning Club is started by Ruth Home, a successor to Margaret MacLean. For 26 years, it was guided by artist and sculptor, Eugenia Berlin. We hope that many people will share their stories about the effect that their experiences had on later lives.
Two of the ROM's unions were on strike for 6 weeks.
Louise Hawley Stone leaves a $45 million trust fund to support the purchase of artifacts and specimens and to support museum publications.