- 1933 - 1968
The space exhibition may have influenced Col R S McLaughlin to donate $2m for a planetarium and a further million as an endowment fund. (Dr Meen, Chief Mineralogist, had been trying to raise interest for a decade). The University donated the land. At this point, there was again so much overcrowding that a new wing was planned along the Bloor Street frontage. Attendance was climbing to 750,000 annually. Friction of all kinds was felt by staff and visitors.