The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is internationally renowned for its collections of nearly six million beautiful and remarkable objects. At the ROM, people of all ages and backgrounds find experiences that inspire wonder and understanding of the immense diversity of human civilization and the natural world.
The Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts is responsible for implementing fundraising activities relating to major gift initiatives in order to sustain and deepen prospective and current donors’ commitments to the Museum’s highest priorities.
Donor Development: Actively manage a portfolio of 75 - 100 major gift prospects and plan, develop, and oversee the implementation of individual strategies for these individuals. This includes working closely with volunteer leadership, Board members, Senior Management and the Development team to coordinate strategies with assigned prospects and donors.
Strategy: In collaboration with the Senior Director, Development, develop philanthropic strategies to raise funds for the ROM’s priorities.
Proposals: Prepare and tailor personal proposals for prospects and donors.
Stewardship: Maintain a small stewardship portfolio; ensure donors receive correspondence, reports, and updates in a timely and professional manner.
Event Management: Play a lead role in organizing cultivation events including liaising with internal and external Museum constituents. These activities include organizing receptions, tours and dinners in support of major gift initiatives.
Team Support: Work collaboratively and maintain a positive working environment with all internal stakeholders. Participate in additional events managed by other ROM Governors departments as needed.
This position requires an incumbent possessing a post-secondary degree or diploma plus a minimum of five years of progressively responsible fundraising and development experience including a minimum two years of direct experience building donor relationships and personally closing gifts in the five to six-figure range.
The incumbent must also possess:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and professional presence necessary to interact with donors, patrons, senior volunteers, senior Museum staff and other stakeholders.
- Excellent problem solving skills, business acumen, strategic aptitude, and sound judgment.
- Knowledge of the market place and donor base.
- Exceptional and proven oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to efficiently organize and manage a diverse range of assignments while meeting multiple deadlines, along with thorough attention to all details and consistent follow through.
- Resourcefulness and independence, while remaining comfortable working within the framework of a team-oriented environment.
- Sound computer skills and experience with The Raiser’s Edge, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and InDesign as applied to the preparation of proposals, reports and presentations.
- Understanding of the vision, mission and values of the Museum and role of the ROM Governors.
- A flexible schedule which allows for multiple after-hours events and meetings.
Reports to: Senior Director, Development
Starting Date: Immediately
How to Apply
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME PRIOR TO 5:00 p.m. on Monday November 4, 2013 to Linda Knox, Senior Human Resources Advisor, Royal Ontario Museum Governors Office, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6; Fax: 416-586-5827; email: email@example.com – please include Competition #2013-078 Sr. Development Officer (Major Gifts) in the subject line.
The ROM Governors Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The ROM Governors wishes to thank all who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.