Since 1994 the Friends of South Asia and its volunteer committees have supported promoting a deeper inclusivity, understanding, and appreciation of the diverse and rich history of South Asian arts, history, and culture. South Asia at the ROM encompasses Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tibet, and their diasporas.
To promote learning about South Asia, we
- Support the curator and the South Asia collection at the ROM
- Provide a platform for educating the general public about the diverse history of South Asian Arts through lectures, talks, curator led tours, performances and special events
- Forge and maintain links with aficionados of South Asian art, history, and culture
Through donations and fundraising, we have
- Spearheaded: the creation of the South Asian Gallery; an endowed curatorship; and acquisitions for the collection
- Garnered annual corporate funds for curatorial research
- Provided funds for hiring interns to support curatorial research
We have also: conserved two, large,16th-century Tibetan paintings (thangkas); provided funds to underwrite 'Kings of Punjab' exhibit; and purchased a comprehensive map of South Asia for teaching purposes in the ROM classrooms
Our fundraising events include:
An annual talk on matters of interest and relevance to the South Asian, book launches, panel discussions, dance symposiums and children's activities.
New Friends are welcome
- For further information email: email@example.com
- To donate now, please complete and return the attached Donation Form