Reporting to the Manager, ROM Web, you will be responsible for the development, coordination, implementation, design and maintenance of the ROM’s website. This includes assisting in the development of web applications, maintenance of web standards, policies and procedures; designing the overall information architecture, supervising the development of digital media assets and applications, working jointly with database programmers, liaising with ROM stakeholders, ensuring that production schedules are met, and that the website is within ROM Web standards. These responsibilities also extend to the ROM’s intranet site, as well as digital classrooms and public display applications.
• Designs, develops and implements web applications, and works with database programmers to develop dynamic websites, including ecommerce, customer-relationship management, and content management sites. Supervises the production of multi-media web applications by outside contractors and ROM staff members.
• All aspects of information architecture including: information organization and navigation strategies, file management, modular programming, functionality, and site administration and maintenance.
• Understands the fundamentals of web traffic, works with analytical tools to produce statistics on traffic to the ROM’s website and interprets these results to non-technical staff.
• Ensures the quality and consistency of the ROM website. To steer the production of content to align with overall website objectives. (This entails taking content and designing and developing ways to present it on the website as well as art directing other developers.)
• Coordinates and issues releases. Provides sound fixes. Strong ability to troubleshoot issues.
• Attends key meetings with information providers, staff, and outside groups
• Develops integrated marketing and programming strategies with other departments within the ROM to create high-impact Museum-wide programming. This includes working with database programmers to develop tools to track the effectiveness of online marketing initiatives.
• Gives input into the development of tools for ongoing management of the site, such as web traffic statistic analyzers and search engines; researches and gives input into the adoption of new technologies, protocols and methodologies for enhancing the site.
• Develops for approval ROM web standards, policies and style guides. Acts as a professional
resource to ensure that all applications meet these criteria and pose no security risks.
|Salary||$57,463 - $65,672|
• Community College Diploma (3-year program) in a related discipline, and additional multimediacourses (e.g. Graphic Design, Computer Technology; equivalent to one year additional post secondary courses) OR an acceptable equivalent in education and experience.
• Sound up-to-date knowledge of leading edge web development including design development software, CMS modules and content management systems (Drupal 7), e-commerce strategies, mobile web strategies and web security issues. Has a proven ability in the resolution of technology-specific issues.
• Effective oral and written communication skills required for multiple reporting requirements (i.e. requirements gathering, project team involvement, site documentation, as well as oral presentations to both internal and external groups.) Outstanding interpersonal skills required for liaising with ROM stakeholders; excellent management skills for supervising contractors in the design and development of the website.
• French language skills would be an asset.
START DATE: As soon as possible
How to Apply
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 6 months
PLEASE APPLY IN WRITING TO: Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto,
M5S 2C6. Attention: Mara Gunner, Human Resources Coordinator
Fax #416-586-5827; or
Please include Competition #2013-047, Web Designer on the subject line.
Please provide a portfolio of your design work with your resume and cover letter.