History

Monthly Archive: December Hist

Origins of a Collection: A look at R.S. Williams' Historic Musical Instruments

Posted: July 7, 2014 - 12:42 , by Jaime Clifton-Ross
European Music Book. Detail. 1835.

Have you ever wondered how museums collect their treasured artefacts? You probably know that many objects are generously donated to such cultural centres. But do you know the story or the provenance (the record of origin and history of ownership) behind these objects? The ROM is full of interesting acquisition stories—many of which can be found in the Curatorial departments and the Library & Archives. This is just one…

 

Celebrate Canada Day with Maple Syrup!

Posted: June 26, 2014 - 11:38 , by Jaime Clifton-Ross
Categories: 
| Comments (0) | Comment
Maple leaf on forest floor; http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Maple_leaf.jpg#file

In celebration of Canada Day and Canadian Heritage Week (July 1st - July 7th) this post will relfect on the rich heritage and history embedded within our maple leaf. 

Stories from 2B - Talking about Canadian History

Posted: July 4, 2013 - 10:21 , by Maxine Kauter
Image of door with text "2B"

Australian intern, Maxine Kauter, knows nothing about Canadian history... but that's not stopping her from talking about it.

Museums, stories and things.

Posted: June 10, 2013 - 15:45 , by Maxine Kauter
Visitors in the Birds Gallery

Get ready for an insider's look at the ROM from someone who's usually very far outside of it.

#5Reasons for our Mediaeval Fair!

Posted: September 28, 2012 - 09:03 , by Kiron Mukherjee
Categories: 
| Comments (0) | Comment

Five reasons why our Mediaeval Fair (September 29/30) is going to be awesome!

Kiron's Mediaeval Look

The first Church at York and the War of 1812

Posted: August 15, 2012 - 11:28 , by admin
Categories: 
| Comments (0) | Comment

Written by Paul Vaculik, ROMwalks volunteer

The first Church at York (later renamed to St. James) was built in 1807 by soldiers of the British garrison. The church and its rector, the Reverend Dr. John Strachan, became central to events of the War of 1812.

ROM Walk: Sculpture and the City

Posted: July 30, 2012 - 13:41 , by admin
Categories: 
| Comments (0) | Comment

By Valerie Fairclough, ROMwalks volunteer

ROM Walk: Queen’s Park Circle

Posted: July 23, 2012 - 16:11 , by admin
Categories: 
| Comments (0) | Comment

By Bruce Salvatore, ROM Walks, Department of Museum Volunteers

Queen’s Park, located in central Toronto, was opened in 1860 and dedicated by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) to his mother, Queen Victoria. Brimming with history, this ROM walk uncovers the controversy that surrounded awarding a contract to the building the legislature to an American architect.

St. James’ Cemetery ROMwalks

Posted: July 3, 2012 - 09:13 , by admin
Categories: 
| Comments (0) | Comment

St. James’ Cemetery, opened at the corner of Parliament and Bloor Streets in 1844, is the eternal resting place of many of the prominent families of York and Toronto.  Monuments and mausoleums are engraved with the names Jarvis, Ridout, Gooderham, Cawthra, Baldwin and Osler among others. Stories of success and scandal abound.

Historic South Rosedale Artist Studio

Posted: June 29, 2012 - 13:47 , by admin
Categories: 
| Comments (0) | Comment

Submitted by Regina Virgo, Department of Museum Volunteers

On our ROMwalk tour of the western section of South Rosedale, we’ll descend into the Rosedale Ravine via Park Road, originally a corduroy road constructed by Sheriff William Botsford Jarvis to make the trip to Rosedale more convenient and facilitate sales of his Rose Park subdivision lots.