In August, come bring natural history to life at the Royal Ontario Museum! The ROM, in partnership with Gamercamp and the University of Toronto, is opening its doors to game developers for the second annual ROM Game Jam; a three-day event on August 8 - 10, 2014; where they will be challenged to create digital games that animate the museum’s exhibits.
The must-knows about the ROM Game Jam:
- Spend three days inside the ROM creating games that animate its exhibitions
- Explore the over 30 galleries of the museum containing millions of specimens
- Learn about the history of the specimens directly from ROM experts
- Nerd out with fellow game developers in one of the most awesome venues ever for a jam
- Have the opportunity to showcase your game in a Toronto cultural institution with an audience of thousands
The theme for the 2014 ROM Game Jam is:
THE EVOLUTION REVOLUTION
Life began almost 4 billion years ago.
Humans appeared in the 11th hour.
What will life look like in the future?
For three days, participants will get special access to the museum to create a game based on its contents. Now, even for veteran game jam participants, there will be a few fresh surprises to the ROM Game Jam experience. Imagine yourself digging up dinosaurs for inspiration, or immersing yourself in the rich history of the museum with ROM experts in palaeontology, biology, and more.
The experience continues after the actual Game Jam! Completed games will be play-tested at various ROM events between September and December 2014. Not to get all fine-print on you, but best of all you keep the IP to your work, including the right to distribute and see the game!
Got more questions? Check out the Game Jam 2014 FAQ section!