Best Family Value this Holiday Season
ROM for the Holidays is one of the most exciting times to visit the Museum, and this year it’s easier for everyone to visit because the ROM has recently reduced our admission prices.
With extended hours during ROM for the Holidays, open to 8:30 pm each evening with further discounted admission after 4:30 pm, there’s lots of opportunity to fit an exciting family visit to the ROM into your busy schedule. ROM for the Holidays runs from December 26, 2011 to January 8, 2012. This will be the longest ROM for the Holidays to accommodate the extended school break this year.
“Increasing access to the Museum for everyone is a priority for the ROM, which is why we recently made the bold decision to reduce our prices year-round,” said Janet Carding, ROM Director & CEO. “I’m particularly pleased to have our new lower admission prices in effect in time for the holidays. With general admission prices now more than a third less, we’re able to make the ROM and all the wonder of our holiday programming available to even more families to experience together this season.”
The ROM’s holiday gift to visitors this year offers options to suit everyone - visit during the day at our new lower prices of just $15 for adult general admission and experience value-added family programming included, or visit in the evenings to see Maya: Secrets of their Ancient World at further discounted rates. Evening discounted admission applies from 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm from Monday, December 26, 2011 through Saturday, January 7, 2012. Discount evening hours, after 4:30 pm until 8:30 pm, adult general admission is just $9.
Experience unique ROM for the Holidays activities inspired by the feature exhibition Maya: Secrets of their Ancient World, including interactive programming, hands on activities and entertaining performances. For those looking for a high-energy, interactive experience, this annual event features a wide variety of family events daily from 11 am to 4 pm, all free with general admission.
With the recently announced new lower prices ROM adult general admission is now $15 throughout the year, more than a third off the previous rate of $24. Senior and student general admission has been lowered year round from $21 to $13.50, and even greater savings at just $8.00 during ROM for the Holidays discounted evening hours. Child admission has dropped from $16 to $12 year round, and is only $6 during ROM for the Holidays evening hours. Admission for children under 3 years of age remains free. ROM Members continue to enjoy the greatest benefit of unlimited free admission all throughout the year.
The exhibit surcharge for the featured Maya: Secrets of their Ancient World at $10 for adults, $9 for students and seniors, and $5 for children. This is significantly lower than previous exhibit surcharge rates. Daily last entry time to Maya: Secrets of their Ancient World is one and a half hours before the Museum closes. For full details and to book tickets for Maya: Secrets of their Ancient World visit:
Maya Inspired Programming
Share a lasting experience and immerse your family in the fascinating Maya civilization over the holiday break with music, crafts, film and more. Interactive and make and take activities include:
• Build a Maya pyramid
• Create your own rain stick to take home
• Join the Maya Archaeological Dig and discovery buried Maya treasure like a real archaeologist
• Participate in a 2012 calendar workshop
• Encounter a Maya High Priest
• Pose for a photo as the Jaguar God of the Underworld and take home your free photo souvenir at the SONY® photo station from December 28 to 30- makes a great Facebook photo!
• Escape the cold and snuggle up for a film screening of Mystery of the Maya in the Digital Gallery or embark on a guided tour of the Maya exhibition, daily at 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm, for an additional cost of $5.
• Enjoy Bring Back the Wild - Earth Rangers’ popular live animal show from December 27 to January 6 at 11:30 am, 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm in the Signy and Cléophee Eaton Theatre, Level B1. Kids will love meeting Cosmo the Ring-Tailed Lemur, Koho the Bald Eagle, and new this year - Timber the Pine Marten.
• Also back by popular demand, The Earth Rangers Studio in the Life in Crisis: Schad Gallery of Biodiversity, on Level 2, will be transformed into an Ontario Winter Wonderland, where visitors can learn to identify animal tracks and discover how Canadian wildlife adapted to cold weather.
• Brighten your winter days and stamp your feet to the infectious music of Mexico featuring Café Con Pan, specializing in Son Jarocho, traditional Mexican music from the Tuxtlas region of Veracruz, and Mexico Amigo Mariachi founded by Mexican born, Toronto musician Jorge Lopez featuring authentic costumes and instruments showcasing Mexican folklore, culture and the distinct sound of Mariachi, from December 27 to January 6.
New This Year - ROM for the Holidays Camp
Can’t get enough of our daytime kid’s activities? Experience non-stop fun at the ROM! New this year, children 5 to 14 years of age are invited to spend a week of their winter break with our dynamic instructors to experience hands-on activities in our galleries, studio, and learning labs. Over the extended school break, parent can choose from morning and afternoon options or create their own full-day program. For more information visit: www.rom.on.ca/holidays
UNIQUE HOLIDAY GIFT IDEAS:
• Discover exquisite Maya inspired souvenirs, home décor, and jewellery at the ROM Museum store or online
• ROM Sleepovers make a memorable and unique holiday gift. On January 6 and 7, experience Toronto's ultimate backstage museum pass. Uncover the ancient secrets of the Maya with exclusive after-hours access to Maya: Secrets of their Ancient World. Includes a movie screening, gallery access, artifact viewing with ROM experts and souvenirs. Click here for more information
• The best way to enjoy the ROM all year round is with a ROM Membership, a gift that fits everyone on your list! Starting at $54, Memberships include unlimited free entry to the Museum, special exhibitions, a subscription to ROM Magazine, invitations to exclusive member’s events and more. For more information or to purchase call Membership at 416.586.5700 or visit the Admissions desk in the main lobby of the ROM.
c5 Restaurant Lounge and Food Studio Café’s new Executive Chef, Corbin Tomaszeski, renowned food expert and television host, has created menus for a special Maya-themed holiday experience. Family-friendly Food Studio Café offers Chef Corbin’s Maya-themed menu items throughout the exhibition’s engagement and the elegant c5 Restaurant Lounge features a special menu fusing the flavours of Mexico with fresh local Ontario ingredients.
Opening Hours: Christmas, New Year and January 8
The ROM will close at 5:30 pm on Saturday, December 24 and will remain closed on Saturday, December 25. The ROM will be open on New Year’s Eve, Saturday, December 31, until 8:30 pm and will be open New Year’s Day, Saturday, January 1, 2012. Please note, the ROM closes at 5:30 pm on Sunday, January 8, 2012, and therefore discounted admission to Maya: Secrets of their Ancient World applies only from 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm on this final ROM for the Holidays Sunday.